Monday 8 October 2007

Sub Job

So I started another job last week...yeah. I'm going to be a substitute teacher in Rio Rancho since it's smaller and closer to my home than the quite large Albuquerque school system. Anyway, last week I was in a culinary arts class at Rio Rancho High School and it was so boring! And I'm not talking about I want to fall asleep boring but scratch my eyes out with a fork boring. I was subbing for a sub because their teacher broke her back four weeks ago. These poor kids have been doing busy work for four weeks. I felt so bad for them but it was nice to know that it wasn't my problem. As if I can just float into the classroom with no worries and leave with the same.

But the thing that I found interesting is how apathetic some of these kids were about their lives. How did kids get this way? And then I started to talk to them about what's going on in the world around them and it's almost depressing. Don't you ever feel like we owe kids something for being so out of control of their lives? Maybe it's just my idealistic attitude on life but why do I feel that we're falling short of our potential?

What a world.

No comments: