Monday 7 July 2008

What a weekend!

Victor and I hit the road this weekend and we didn't stop! Since I have never been to Southern New Mexico, we decided to use our three day weekend and see the sights! It was absolutely fantastic and amazing. I think my favorite part was White Sands. It was like we were exploring another world. The reason White Sands is white is because there is so little rain there that the gypsum (sand) does not dissolve into the ground like it normally would after it runs off of the mountains. However, while we were there, it rained!! How cool is that?


But the Gila (Hee-la) cliff dwellings were pretty amazing as well. They were built between 1270-1300AD. Now that is OLD! New Mexico is seriously one of the coolest places I have ever lived.

I thought it might be unbearably hot this weekend but it turned out to be great! The rain really helped cool things off and it was even humid. How crazy is that?!
This weekend I'll be heading to Dallas to drop off the car so it can be shipped to England. It might take up to two months so we want to get it there ASAP! It won't be long now:)

3 comments:

Nichole D. said...

I love fun little road trips like that, too!

White sands is one of my favorite places in NM, too. We haven't been to gila yet, though.

The Salinas Ruins are really cool, too, and only about an hour from Albuquerque!

mrs. reynolds said...

Hey there girlie!
There was so much in NM I didn't get to see before moving away, and I lived there 28 years!
Can't wait to see you Wendesday!

SHMT said...

Looks like a fun weekend! Sigh, soon you'll be posting pictures of England. I'm terribly jealous and also really excited for you!