Monday 23 February 2009

What will be?

I was watching a show on the National Geographic channel tonight about the history of North America. Basically, it was about all the stuff we learned in school over the years about geology so nothing was really all that new to me. But it got me thinking about time. Billions of years ago the Earth was formed out of nothing...nothing! How crazy is that? And then over time stuff moved and formed into what we know at this moment.
Of course, computers, cars and ice cream hasn't been around forever but what about the future. I'm not naive, I know that we're not going to be on this planet forever. But what is it going to be like for the last people? Apparently in a few billion years the plates will continue to move and they are all going to smash back together: New York City will be mountains in Africa: San Francisco will mush together with Alaska. Then what? Will there be people there when it happens? Am I naive to think that our race will still be around? Do we really think that highly of ourselves?
It just got me thinking.

1 comment:

Chris said...

As a Brit., I have every confidence now that your wonderful President Obama will simply not allow this to happen - well, at least not in Illinois and - who knows? - in your home state as well!

More seriously, for the first time in a long time, you've got a President we (the 95% of the world that isn't America) are all envious of! Look after him!