Thursday 20 November 2008


I finally finished this quilt I started in 2005! It's made out of scraps from skirts I made while in seminary and I pieced it together on the sewing machine but decided to hand quilt all the layers together. This is why it took me so long...well, that and I moved three times since I started it and didn't really unpack it each time.
Rather than the quick and easy method of quilt making I decided to go for the hand method to honor my great grandma Gladys. Of course, she would have made the whole thing by hand but who's going to tell her?
And while I was finishing the boarder I noticed that I forgot to quilt one corner. So rather than the old method I decided to quilt in the names of my mom's family as sort of a family tree also in honor of Gladys. I hope none of them read this because I'm sending it to them for Thanksgiving to celebrate my grandparents move to their new home. I'm sure I'll get it back some day but for now it will be like a reminder of the kids living in England.

It is such a relief to be done with it because I have so many other projects I would love to work on now that I have so much time on my hands. I'm really trying to get the creative juices flowing whilst I have some down time.

3 comments:

SHMT said...

Pretty! Especially like that crazy, animal print border. See? You really are a 50's housewife! :-)

ktjhawk said...

be-u-ti-full!

ktjhawk said...

be-u-ti-full!